Back in 1987, PO! was a great name for a band:
|This was the exact moment when we decided to call the band PO! - outside a white-tiled cinema in Leicester ................... and look at my Walkman on the ground!|
- PO! was short, so that you could print it in font size 300 to be easily seen on a poster.
- It was trendy to have an exclamation mark back then.
- I chose the word PO! because it meant lots of different things in different languages; it was a common word around the world but a bit intriguing for the English.
- In 1987, there were no other bands called anything like PO! as far as I know.
This photo session was done while we were talking about possible names. The original band members were me - Ruth Miller, bass player Julian Glover and Drummer Marc Fuccio. If only we had thought a bit harder about possible future inventions that might impact on us....
In 2019, PO! is about the worst possible name for a band.
- Internet protocol means that an unknown band CANNOT use capital letters for the name. We cannot be PO! - we have to be Po! by the Internet rules, apparently....
- Many search engines pay no attention to the exclamation mark, so it doesn't help to find us and it just looks wrong without the !
- Because po is a common word, lots of artists across the world have the word po in their names. A search of Apple music reveals 630 artists with the word po in their name.
There are even other bands called Po! who are not us. Despite the good international intentions of the band name in 1987, I couldn't have anticipated that one day finding my band in a virtual record store would be so hard. Here are just a few of the 630 recording artists that are not Po! (previously PO! recording on Rutland Records)
Po' girl Prince Po Po KMON PO PO Big PO Po Brothers Po A Tree Po! Po Boyz Po Patiri Ben Po Po Len T Po A Po Po' Baby Po Po Block Po' It PoCa Po Millionnaires Po Livin Po3t Monsieur Po PO8 Haze Po Po the pop Diva Mr Po Po La'von PoE Te Po King Po Po Lazarus Li Po Po Cholley Ryan Po Edwin Po Vic Po Cliff Po Ronnie Po Oleg Po Dmitri Po Picky Po Po Lavon Po All Ova Will Po Po Derek Po' Boys Po Pimp Dirt Po Po Slicc Po Jama Uncle Po
Good luck trying to find us on the Internet and streaming services - I'm trying to improve things. According to one fan we are 'ungooogleable'! But as the new band records new songs, it's tempting to change the name to get away from the tyranny of P and O.
My other vintage band on the other hand was called Ruth's Refrigerator - a good name and it googles like a dream; all the information is there and you have to go to page 3 before you meet something that's NOT to do with the band. (Ruth's refrigerator cakes recipe)
Here's me having a coffee at the Exchange Bar in Leicester. You can see The Curve theatre that opened in 2008. The white building behind me is now called Athena, but it was previously a cinema. The white tiles are still there from years ago; the same white tiles you can see in the first picture above.